|1. Soldiers and Sailors Monument at Public Square pays tribute to the area’s Civil War soldiers and sailors and is located in the southeast portion of the newly renovated 10-acre Public Square, Downtown. Levi T. Scofield’s monument opened July 4, 1894, and features four bronze groupings on the exterior depicting the artillery, Cavalry, navy, and infantry. “The Goddess of Freedom” is atop the monument. Open Mon.-Sat. Hours vary. Call 216.621.3710.|
|2. Howard Metzenbaum Courthouse, aka the Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, at 201 Superior Avenue covers an entire city block—Superior Avenue on the south, Rockwell Avenue on the north, East Third Street on the east, and Public Square on the west. The five-story, granite-faced building was constructed between 1903 and 1910. It was the first building under Cleveland’s 1903 Group Plan and served as a model for later structures.|
|3. Cleveland Public Library at 325 Superior Avenue blends historic and modern architecture. The main library is a classical Renaissance design and was built in 1925 and the 10-story oval-shaped Louis Stokes Wing, named after the Cleveland native and the first African-American U.S. congressman was completed in 1997. The two buildings are separated by the Eastman Reading Garden, but are connected by an underground passage beneath the reading garden. Open Mon.-Sat., 10am-6pm.|
|4. Federal Reserve of Cleveland at 1455 E. 6th Street is a13-story structure that opened in 1923. It was inspired by the Medici Palace in Florence, Italy. The lobby features a vaulted ceiling and gold-marble walls and pillars. This is also where you’ll find the Money Museum. Admission is free. Open Mon.-Thurs., 10am-2pm.|
5. Lincoln statue at the Drury Plaza Hotel (opening this summer) and former site of the Board of Education Building at 1380 East 6th Street is a 12-foot-tall bronze sculpture of our 16th president delivering the “Gettysburg Address.” Sculpted by Max Kalish, it was unveiled on Lincoln's birthday in 1932 and served as the location for Lincoln's birthday celebrations for many years afterwards.
|6. Fountain of Eternal Life at Memorial Plaza, between St. Clair and Rockwell Avenues, was dedicated in 1964 and memorializes service personnel killed in World War II and the Korean War. The fountain shows a nude male rising out flames to symbolize peace. “Strategically placed” flames helped to placate concerns over appropriateness and decency. It was designed by Marshall Fredericks, who also wanted to include a nude female. Fredericks’ original idea was used for his Star Dream Fountain, dedicated in Royal Oak, Mich., in 1997.|
7. Key Center at 127 Public Square is where you’ll find the 57-story Key Tower, Cleveland’s tallest building (1990), the Cleveland Marriott Downtown (1989-91), and the red sandstone Society National Bank, originally known as the Society for Saving Bank Hall (1889-90). Step inside to see the lobby with marble interior, murals, 26-foot-high ceiling, stained glass skylight, and historical information.
|8. Site of arc lamp is at the corner of Ontario Street and Public Square, next to the Society National Bank and facing Public Square. Inventor Charles F. Brush unveiled the arc lamp on April 29, 1879, five months before Edison’s incandescent light bulb. An arc lighting system replaced gas lighting on Public Square making Cleveland home of the world’s first ever electric street light system.The acorn-shaped fixture on the hand-forged wrought iron post at this site was an arc lamp when installed in 1890. It was later changed to an incandescent light.|
9. Old Stone Church at 91 Public Square is located across the street from the northwest portion of Public Square. Built in 1834 as First Presbyterian, this Georgian Revival-style church soon became known as the Stone Church for its gray sandstone and before being known as the Old Stone Church. It’s the oldest structure at Public Square.
|10. Tower City Center/JACK Casino at 100 Public Square is the endpoint for our tour. The 52-story, 708-foot-tall Terminal Tower opened in 1928 as an office building atop the Cleveland Union Terminal Train Station. Today, it’s an office/retail complex with beautifully preserved brass storefronts and an observation deck that’s open on the weekends. (Call 216.623.4750 for hours.) The complex is also home to JACK Casino ( inside the historic Higbee’s building, which was featured in the 1983 film, Christmas Story.|